Youtube URL Extractor
A script to extract video metadata (I.E. the actual video stream URL) from an arbitrary Youtube (youtube.com, youtu.be) URL and launch VLC to watch the video.
- A simple command line interface.
- A rudimentary history function that stores and lists previously watched videos.
- Hopefully informative error messages if something goes wrong.
- Tries to find a reasonable resolution (E.G. HD, not 4K).
- Developed and tested on Linux.
- MIT License.
This script requires Python 3.5+. It is designed to work with Youtube's latest (2019-09-11) metadata format.
user@computer:~$ yt.py https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8EKfk3tzg
A small read-eval style shell for yt.py, written in bash. "Why bash?" you say, "Why not incorporate it into the python script?" Because, as you will no doubt infer from the code below, I need to practice my bash skills.