Booting a NeXT Cube in single user mode
So you've managed to lay your filthy paws on a NeXT computer but don't know the password? Or perhaps you've dug your old machine out of storage and just can't remember it? Fret not! Just follow these simple instructions to boot in single user mode and reset the root password.
- Power on the computer.
- Observe the boot sequence dialog.
- When the dialog changes from "Testing system" to "Loading from disk", press the right Command key and the tilde (~) key on the numerical keyboard.
- You should now be presented with a ROM prompt,
- Start the OS in single user mode using the command "bsd -s":
NeXT> bsd -s
- After a bit of loading, you should be presented with a root
- Start the system services using the command "sh /etc/rc &":
# sh /etc/rc &
- More messages will be printed and finally return you to the root shell prompt.
- Change the password using the command "passwd root":
# passwd root
- Power cycle the computer.
- You will now be able to log in as usual!
Pics or it didn't happen
Above you can see a NeXT cube booted into single user mode. The services are currently loading. Click the image for a higher resolution.
When you're done, feel free to log in and start doing some heavy lifting in Wolfram Mathematica. Click the image for a higher resolution.